I am proud to announce the opening of the new version of the Fred On Something blog.
Why have I changed the blog? The first reason is to be able to blog when I will be in India, in some months. I needed to have access to a web interface to publish my posts and Radio Userland did not give me that possibility. So I started to search for a blogging platform and hosting service. It is at that time that the 28 things to check when searching for a blog system and a hosting service list is born.
I finally got all these wanted features at a local traditional web hosting company that created a new blog hosting service last week. I got this beautiful package for 9$ CND per month at IWeb-Hosting. The blogging system used by Iweb-Hosting is b2Evolution. It is a beautiful piece of software wrote by Francois Planque. It is really easy to install and to customize.
The transfer had been a pain. I had to repost all my posts and comments, and also had to change the dates of each of them. Why? Because there is no any exportation feature in Radio Userland, so I had to do it by hand. It took me around 12 hours to populate my blogs with posts and comments. So take care of this more than essential feature when you search for a blog system!
I had modified and added many things to the basic installation of b2Evolution. So if you find something interesting and would like to add it to your b2Evoltions installation, feel free to contact me and I will send you all the code and information you need to implement the feature.
What is new in this version of Fred On Somethings blog?
- A comments blog
- A links blog
- A quotes blog
- The access to some articles I wrote
- The possibility to put your avatar (via Gravatar) when you comment
- The possibility to syndicate all individual blogs
- The possibility to syndicate the aggregator blog (this blog aggregate all the other blogs. So if you want to be warn when something appear on one of these blogs, syndicate it)
- The possibility to syndicate the comments feeds
- A good search engine
- A domain name
- And other cool little things that you will discover while surfing it
I hope you will enjoy this new blog.
Please leave me your impressions and suggestions to improve it.