|Tomorrow I’ll answer to the question: “What is the Internet of tomorrow for you?” with 3 other people at the Webcom Montreal Conference.|
Guest what is my vision of the Internet of tomorrow? Yeah, you are right, it is the semantic web. Bellow is the layout of my talk where I try to answer to the question in the simplest way, with terms that even my mom could understand. The more technical terms used will be: semantic web, web services, data and search engine. The hardest challenge is to express the vision of the semantic web I have with the simplest terms. In fact, all the “simple” terms I enumerated above have a deep implication and have complexes meaning. However, I hope that I’ll be able to communicate my vision well to all the non technical people that will listen at me tomorrow.
Today’s Internet is the one of the men:
- The structure of the current Web: Tables, paragraphs, headers and footers, citations, bold characters, etc.
- All these structures exist to help people to understand the meaning of a document.
Tomorrow’s Internet is the one of the machine:
- The structure of tomorrow’s Web: Same documents and same data. A structure that explicit the context and the semantic, the link between the data. Usage of a grammar and a vocabulary to express and communicate the data.
How the documents of the semantic web will be used?
- By web services
- By applications like:
- Electronic agend,
- Knowledge management systems
- By search engines
- By any application that use Web data
What are the advantages of the semantic web?
- Save time processing data (search time, information management, etc)
- More pertinent search engine results
- Better communication between web services
- Targeted publicity depending on the context
- Easier and faster web service developments (thanks to standards). The result is the development of more complex systems
What are the inconvenient of the semantic web?
- More work for the software programmer to generate and publish its data for the semantic web.
- The effects on privacy are unknown
What are the advantage of the semantic web vis-à-vis other already existing solutions?
- The creation of standards assuring the good communication of information between applications that use the data.
Is the semantic web already existing?
- Presentation of the SIOC ontology and its prototype applications.
- Presentation of Piggy Bank.
Technorati: Webcom | montreal | conference | semantic | web | | internet | presentation |
2 thoughts on “I’ll give a talk at the Webcom Montreal Conference tomorrow: the Web of tomorrow: the Semantic Web”
Looks great Fred! Hope you can get it on video for reuse, as I would like to see it, and Youtube would be richer to have such content.
Thanks! I think my presentation was okay (far from perfect since I am really not a professional conferencer, but we have to start somewhere 😉 ). Also I only had 10 minutes on the panel to introduce the SW with some examples, so I had to cut the corners round.
But I have been really happy to do it and I think that people learned some things listening at me.